Shatava Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the second half of the 18th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. According to epigraphic data, the cemetery was operational until the late Soviet period. First, it appears on Russian maps in the 1920s. Later it was marked on Polish maps of 1939. The Jews were present from the 16th century. In 1765, 164 Jews were inhabitants of Shatava. According to the revision of 1847, the Jewish population reached a peak of 1,136 (42,5% of the total). According to the census, 725 Jews (34,3% of the total) lived in the town in 1897. In 1926, in the Soviet period, the number of Jewish residents was 434 people. On July 10, 1941, the Germans occupied the town. During the occupation, 300 Jews of Shatava and its outskirts were murdered.