Sharhorod Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Vinnytsia
District
Sharhorodsky
Settlement
Sharhorod
Site address
Starting at the "Holy Chetvirka" bridge, drive 20 m to the southeast, then turn left, continue 280 metres, then turn left, drive 80 metres , turn right, drive a further 20 metres, at which point a new Jewish cemetery can be found to the right of the road, behind which is the old cemetery.
GPS coordinates
48.74361, 28.0893
Perimeter length
533 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a ruined masonry wall.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is overgrown with seasonal vegetation. The last burials took place in the 1950s. Many of the tombstones lie toppled around the site.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 3,000 tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
mid-19th (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1945 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the mid-16th century, but the oldest preserved tombstones date to the 17th century. The cemetery can be found marked on a map of the region from 1872 and a map of the Western Russian Empire from the 1900s.

Sharhorod was founded in 1579. It was established as a city under Magdeburg law in 1588. A year later, in 1589, a Great synagogue was built. In the 17th century, due to its location along wine and cattle trading routes, Sharhorod emerged as one of the largest towns in Podolia. The Turks occupied Sharhorod between 1672 and 1699, when the town was called Küçük-Istanbul (“Little Istanbul”). During that time the synagogue was converted into a mosque. In 1734, a pogrom claimed a great number of victims. In the early 18th century the Jewish community reappeared and expanded anew. In 1765, the Jewish community of Sharhorod numbered 2219 that made it the largest in Podolia at the time.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia).
In 1847, there were 3670 Jewish residents and in 1897, Jews comprised around three quarters of the population or 3987 of 5529. Jews were engaged mostly in crafting and commerce. In the 1820s-30s all three merchants (belonging to different guilds) in Sharhorod were Jews. At the turn of the 19th century Jews owned shops, wood stores, a printing house as well as inns. In the late 1880s there were 6 synagogues and by the beginning of the 20th century there were 9. In the 1910s there was a private Jewish school for boys and a mixed Jewish school.
The Jewish population of Sharhorod suffered greatly during World War I and the civil war in Russia. In 1919, a pogrom in Sharhorod claimed around 100 victims.
After 1922, Sharhorod became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In the mid 1920s a Jewish kolkhoz and a Yiddish school were established in Sharhorod. In 1923, there were 1918 Jewish residents; in 1926, 2697 Jews (>60%) and in 1939, 1664 Jews (74%). Nonetheless all of Sharhorod’s synagogues were closed and rededicated.
In 1941, many Jews fled to the East but some remained behind. Sharhorod was occupied by the Germans and Romanians on July 22, 1941, and included in the Transnistria Governorate. A ghetto was established and by December 1941 around 7000 Jews were kept there, including deportees from Bessarabia, Bucovina and Regat along with the local Jews. The ghetto had its own bakeries, pharmacy, hospital and orphanage. In winter 1941-42 around 1400 people perished of disease, cold and starvation. The majority of the remaining Jews at this point would survive the war. In the late 1940 more than 1000 Jews lived in Sharhorod. In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Sharhorod became a part of the independent Ukraine. In the 1990s Sharhorod still had a Jewish population of around 700.
The old cemetery of Sharhorod was established in 1799. Today it contains around 3000 gravestones, which date back to mostly between the mid 19th and mid 20th centuries.

View 3D model