Serres Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Greece
Region
Central Macedonia
District
Serres
Settlement
Serres
Site address
The cemetery is located on the north-western outskirts of the town, at the corner of Lampsakou Street and Alata Foteini (Papakonstantinou) Street.
GPS coordinates
41.09530, 23.54407
Perimeter length
Perimeter cannot be delineated exactly and further research is required.
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is totally destroyed and partially built up. Today, the cemetery’s territory is a wasteland around the corner of Lampsakou and Alata Foteini Streets. A municipal water reservoir has been built nearby, partially on the former cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
12 broken gravestones without inscriptions.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

Jews were present in Serres as early as the 12th century. In 1453, the Ottomans transferred most of the Jews to Istanbul, where they formed their own congregation. A Romaniot community continued to exist but dwindled from the early 16th century, when an influx of Spanish and Portuguese Jews predominated. The Jewish population in 1520-35 was 325 (of a total population of 5,465). By the end of the century, the Romaniot community no longer existed and a tight-knit Sephardi community was organised. At the end of the 18th century, the community’s only synagogue was destroyed and replaced with a new, magnificent synagogue that seated 2,000. Jewish children received only religious education until the mid-19th century, when a modern Jewish school was opened. By the early 20th century, when the Jewish population peaked at 2,000 (1904), there were a number of social welfare organizations in operation, as well as a library and a club. Prior to the Balkan wars (1912-13) there were some 1,300 Jews in Serres, but by October 1912, the Jewish population had dropped to 988.

After WWI, the 90 Jewish families in Serres left. The Greeks soon reentered Serres and some Jewish families returned with them. The Sephardi community was slowly reestablished, although anti-Jewish sentiments developed amongst the Greeks at that time. In the 1920s, a new synagogue and a new school building were erected. An economic crisis in the early 1930s left many families unemployed. Two charity organizations operated at that time. Prior to WWII, there were around 600 Jews in Serres. In 1943, 471 Jews were arrested. The community was not revived after the war. By 1983, only one Jew remained in Serres.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It most likely began active in the 16th century.

View 3D model