Seredne Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Serednye was established during the 19th century. As evident from epigraphic data, it was active at least from 1841. The cemetery was in use until WWII.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Serednye in the early 18th century. In 1746, three Jewish families lived here. By 1830, the Jewish population numbered 256. In 1877, the Jewish population of Serednye had increased to 389 (23% of the total population). After WWI, the Serednye Jewish community opened an elementary school for 100 pupils. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population increased to 599. Jews were involved in the day-to-day life of Seredneye: 16 were artisans, 13 were tradesmen, and there were three kosher butchers, some farmers and several professionals. Hungarian forces arrived in Serednye in March 1939 and, in 1940, drafted some Jews into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. By 1941, the Jewish population numbered 619. In the same year, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. Afterwards, some of the Jews of Serednye fled to the Soviet Union, where they joined the Czechoslovakian army and fought against the Nazis on the Eastern front. The remaining 500 Jews of Serednye were rounded up and marched to the ghetto of Uzhgorod (Ungvár), where they were imprisoned for one and a half months before being deported to Auschwitz on May 17, 1944. After the war, a few dozen survivors returned to Serednye, but most abandoned the town shortly afterwards. No Jews live in the town today.