Sasiv New Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It appears on the Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1860s and 1880s. It was also marked on Polish maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG) of 1939. Jews lived in Sasiv from its foundation. In 1764, 223 Jews lived in Sasiv. At the end of the 18th century, Rabbi Moshe-Leib (1745-1807) founded a Hassidic court. In 1884, Shlomo Maier (1835–1919) established a Hassidic court. At the beginning of the 20th century, the first Jewish political group Poalei Zion appeared in the town. At that time, Baron Hirsch supported a Jewish school. The Jewish population reached a peak of 1,906 (58.1% of the total population) in 1880 and reduced to 1,096 (35.4%) in 1921, through the emigration and the distress of the WWI. In 1939, the Jewish population was 1,150. In late August 1942, around a hundred Jews of Sasiv were deported to the Belzec extermination camp, and the diseased ones were shot on the spot. In November 1942, 400 remained Jews were packed in the Zolochiv ghetto. A labour camp was liquidated in July 1943.