Salnytsya Jewish Cemetery
According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was founded in the early 19th century. It can be found marked on a map of the region from the 1900s.
There is not much information on the Jewish community of Sal’nytsya. It is likely that Jews first settled in Sal’nytsya after the uprising of 1648-49. According to the census of 1847 the Jewish population numbered 179 people. In 1870 there was one synagogue and by 1889 there were 3 synagogues.
In 1885 one Jew owned a brewery. According to the census of 1897 the Jewish population grew fivefold to 903 people, out of the total of 3,699. In 1910, there were 831 Jews in Sal’nytsya. In 1910 there were 2 synagogues, one of which was Hasidic.
In 1914 Jews owned the only timber yard, both pharmacy stores, the only mead brewery and beer factory, all 6 grocers, all 11 dry goods stores as well as the only food and wine shop. In 1920 the Jewish community survived a pogrom in which 30 Jews were killed. By 1923 there were only 672 Jews, and by 1926 the Jewish population had dropped to 567.
Sal’nytsya was occupied in mid-July 1941. Between December 1941 and spring 1942 more than 450 Jews were deported to the Ulaniv ghetto. On June 12th 1942, all of these people were executed, together with the local Jews.
In 1996 there were only 2 Jews living in Sal’nytsya.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was founded in the early 19th century. The cemetery is marked on the maps of the 1900s of the region. The earliest gravestone found dates to 1916, the most recent dates to 1942-1943. There are around 80 gravestones. According to locals, the gravestones date to the late 20th century. The cemetery is taken care of. There is a threat of destruction to the cemetery, there is a plan for the site to be divided by the local government and privatized.