Rymanow Jewish Cemetery
11, Kalwaria Street. From the crossroads, turn left onto a dust road and follow this for 200m until you reach the cemetery.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is an iron fence.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well preserved, the majority of the matzevot are standing and in situ.
Number of existing gravestones
800. The majority of the matzevot are in situ but many of them are partially damaged and covered with moss, and their inscriptions are barely legible. According to sztetl.org and iajgscemetery.org the cemetery has 800 matzevot, and the earliest tombstone dates from 1616, based on the research of Andrzej Potocki.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
There are two ohels. One is dedicated to Menachem Mendel, son Józef, who died in 1815, a Tzaddik in Rymanów, a student of Elimelech from Leżajsk and Szmelke from Nikolsburg (Mikulov), and the wife of Menachem Mendel. In the second ohel lie: Cwi Hirsz Kohen, son of Juda Lejb, from 1827 a Tzaddik in Rymanów and his son Józef Friedman (died in 1913). The graves of the Rymanów Tzadikim are a destination for pilgrimage each year by many Jewsfrom all over the world.
The cemetery may have been founded at the end of the 16th century when the first wooden synagogue was built. The two others were restored in the 1980s.