Rozhiv Old Jewish Cemetery
The Rozhiv Old Jewish cemetery appears on Red Army maps from the 1930s. The last burials presumably took place in the early 20th century. The date of the cemetery’s demolition is unknown. According to local residents, the tombstones were already removed from the cemetery in the 1950s. The construction of a residential building on the cemetery site in the mid-1980s excavated human bones. According to the mayor of Rozhiv, some tombstones from this cemetery have been preserved until today. The search for them is ongoing.
There is not much information on the Rozhiv Jewish community. Presumably, Jews had settled there in the18th century. In 1787, 25 Jews were registered in Rozhiv. In 1847, there were already 257 Jews in the town. In 1850, the Jewish agricultural colony “Rozhivskaya” was founded, with 88 male members. In 1897, the community consisted of 610 Jews (29.5% of the total population). On July 3, 1919, a pogrom took place in the town, though some of the Jewish population managed to flee before. In 1926, only 19 Jews remained in Rozhiv. The Jews still living here during the Nazi occupation were murdered together with the Jews of neighbouring villages. There was no Jewish community in Rozhiv after Holocaust.