Romanivka Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it appears on an old Russian maps as early as the 1880s. Given the only fragment found dates to the late 19th century, it can be assumed the cemetery was founded in that era. The Jewish farming colony in Romanivka was founded in 1840, settled by Jews-migrants from Vitebsk. After the arrival of 20 migrated families, two colonies were founded, named Velyka and Mala Romanivka. In 1859, the population numbered 1,088. In 1898, the Jewish population of both colonies increased to 1,283 (99% of the total population). By 1885, a Jewish school and a synagogue existed. In the same year, seven trade insitutions and three industrial were functioning. Later, the two colonies were united under the common name Romanivka. In 1908, a two-year primary school, a library, and a creamery were established. In 1926, 1,563 Jews were living in this colony. The community suffered from starvation in 1933. Under the Soviet regime, a Jewish council was established. In August 1941, the Nazis occupied Romanivka. During an Aktion in September of the same year, the entire community of 998 people was murdered. The few Jews that survived moved to Birobidzhan after the end of WWII. On September 14, 2005, a granite stela was erected to mark the mass grave.