Rethymno Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Greece
Region
Crete
District
Rethymno
Settlement
Rethymno
Site address
The cemetery was located between Leoforos Emmanouil Kefalogianni Street, Megalou Alexandrou Street, Igoumenou Gavriil Street and the western fence of the Rethymno bus station. Today, the sports hall “Gimnastirio Melina Merkouri” is built on the cemetery site.
GPS coordinates
35.36662, 24.46940
Perimeter length
312 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery was totally demolished. Today, the sports hall “Gimnastirio Melina Merkouri” is built on the former cemetery site. The parking lot of the Rethymno bus station has also been constructed on what may be part of the former cemetery territory.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

Jews are known to have settled in Rethymno as early as 1281. Most likely, there was a synagogue here at the beginning of the Renaissance. In the 19th century.,the decision was made to restore and rebuild the synagogue, but because of the Greek revolt against the Turkish rulers, all the Jews were forced to flee Rethymno. However, the synagogue was later rebuilt. In 1881, Rethymno was home to 31 Jews. In 1904, this number remained unchanged. In 1928, only 8 Jews remained.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it can be assumed that it was founded in the 13th century.

View 3D model