Rayhorod Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Vinnytsia
District
Nemyriv
Settlement
Rayhorod
Site address
Cemetery does not have an address. The cemetery is located adjacent to 10A and 10B Myru Street, south of the local school and kindergarten.
GPS coordinates
48.87338, 29.08059
Perimeter length
374 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is unfenced, but it is surrounded by an overgrown ditch on 2 sides and a cliff on the third.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation but is otherwise well-maintained. Someone has been mowing the grass on the cemetery, but for their own needs. Many of the gravestones are partially submerged in the ground.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 100.
Date of oldest tombstone
1905 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1975 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the latter half of the 18th century.

There is not much information on the Jewish community of Rayhorod. In 1765, there were 211 Jewish residents. According to the census of 1897, the Jewish community numbered 995 people, out of the total of 2,240.
The community survived a pogrom on May 20th 1919 and by 1926 there were 497 Jewish residents.
Rayhorod was occupied on July 22nd 1941, and a ghetto was established. In August, 106 Jews were murdered.
There was a labour camp, in which there were mainly Jews from Tepliyk, they were executed later.
There is no information on the modern Jewish community of Rayhorod.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the second half of the 18th century. The cemetery could not be found marked on old maps of the region. The earliest found gravestone dates to 1905, the most recent gravestones dates to 1975. There are around 100 gravestones, they are mostly underground. The cemetery is abandoned, its land is used for cattle grazing.

 

View 3D model