Rava-Ruska New Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the cemetery was operating in the early 20th century. It was marked on a map from the 1930s. Presumably, the cemetery was demolished after WWII. In 2010s, a memorial near the mass grave was erected using gravestone fragments.
Jewish residents are recorded as early as the city’s foundation in 1624. In the early period of the city’s existence, Jews were involved in trading and alcohol distillation. The community became independent in the late 18th century. In 1788 to 1806, a Jewish school run by Hertz Gomberg was operating. In 1880, the Jewish population of Rava-Rus’ka numbered 3,878 (60% of the total population), increasing to 6,112 (57% of the total population) by 1910. A Hasidic court, founded by Ihl-Ishiyagu Rapoport (1861–1899) was active here from 1892. A school for Jewish children with support from Baron Hirsch was established in 1896. In the early 1920s, a Hasidic court in the town was founded by Arie-Leybush Rokeh (1855–1932). In 1920s, Sholom Rokeah founded another Hasidic court. The Jewish population numbered 5,048 (56% of the total population) in 1921. The Nazis occupied Rava-Rus’ka from September 10 to 23, 1939 and again on June 27, 1941. Jewish residents of Nemirov, Maheriv, Potelych and other surrounding villages were imprisoned in a ghetto. In May 1942, 6,700 Jews were interned in the ghetto. Around 3,500 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec in two actions in March and July 1942. During the liquidation of the ghetto on December 7, 1942, 3,000 Jews were executed, a few thousand were deported to Belzec, and the remaining population to labour camps.