Rashkiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Chernivtsi
District
Khotyn
Settlement
Rashkiv
Site address
Rashkiv Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
48.51166, 26.28638
Perimeter length
It is impossible to determine the perimeter.
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The cemetery site is located in the forest.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII and was demolished in the 1960s-70s.

Jews are known from the early 18th century. In 1790, the Jewish community numbered 634 people. Rabbi Shabbetai set up a Hasidic dynasty in the 19th century. The Jewish population grew to 3,201 (54,9% of the total population). A Talmud-Torah and two shools for girls functioned in 1910. In 1918, the Jewish community of Rashkiv suffered a pogrom. Under the Soviet regime, a Jewish kolkhoz was established. The Jewish population declined to 2,031 in 1926. The German-Romanian troops captured Rashkiv in July 1941. More than 100 Jews were executed during the occupation.