Rakovo Jewish Cemetery
Jewish Cemetery in Rakovo was established in the 19th century. It was not marked on a cadastral map of 1863. In the 2000s, Lo Tishkach expedition photographed a broken gravestone of 1867, which was not preserved. Presumably, the cemetery was used until WWII.
Jews probably settled in Rakovo in the late 18th century. In 1880, 22 Jews resided in the town. In 1910, the Jewish population grew to 50. By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian rule, the Jews numbered 55. Jews were engaged in commerce and agriculture. In 1930, the Jewish population reduced to 41. Hungarian army occupied Rakovo in March 1939, and the Jews were persecuted. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour troops. Others were sent to the Eastern front, most of them perished there. In 1941, 64 Jews were living in Rakovo. Jewish families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to the German-occupied Kamyanets’-Podils’kyy, where they were murdered. In late May 1944, the remaining Jews of Rakovo were deported to Auschwitz. No Jews live in the town today.