Radomyshl Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery establishment is unknown. The cemetery emerged no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1901.
The Jewish community of Radomyshl (Ukr. Радомишль, Rus. Радомышль, Yid. ראַדעמישל) likely emerged in the 18th century, although there may have been a Jewish presence earlier. Jews were attacked and their property was looted by the insurgent Cossacks in the 1750s. In 1797, the Jewish population stood at 1,424, which was 56% of the total population. A Jewish barber was tried on ritual murder charges and acquitted in 1839. Radomyshl had a Jewish population of 7,502 (69%) in 1897. The Jewish community maintained a synagogue, 7 prayer houses, a hospital, a loan fund, a talmud-torah, 3 schools for boys as well as 2 for girls. The Bund and Zionist groups were active. During the Civil War of 1918–21, hundreds of Jews were killed in pogroms, among them the congregation’s spiritual leader R. Avrom Yehoshua Heschel Twerski. The synagogue was closed by the Soviet authorities in the 1930s. A Jewish school operated until the late 1930s. In 1939, the Jewish population of Radomyshl was 2,348 (20%). After the arrival of the Germans in 1941, the Jews were confined in a ghetto. The majority of them were killed in August–September 1941. According to the 2001 census, only 13 Jews lived in Radomyshl and the surrounding area.
It is not known precisely when the cemetery was founded. According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the oldest identifiable date on a tombstone was 1910.
The ohel over the Twerski burials was built in the early 21st century. The fence was renovated in 2019.