Pylyava Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is not determined. It was not marked on old maps. According to the testimonies of locals, the Jewish cemetery existed and was demolished in the late Soviet period. A couple of gravestones without inscriptions were found by ESJF expedition. Jews settled in 1780. In 1847, 289 Jews resided in Pylyava. In 1897, the Jewish population increased to 752 (20,3% of the total), and the figure dropped to 619 in 1923. In 1889, two synagogues operated. From 1890, Moshe Shraiman (born in 1861) was a rabbi of Pylyava. In 1914, a pharmacy warehouse, mill and wine store were in the hands of Jews. In the early 20th century, many Jews left for the US. In 1915, the Jews of Pylyava in the US organised a Piliver Podolier charity. In 1925, 107 left for Kherson and organised there a Jewishkolhoz Emet. In July 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied the town. In August 1941, 180 Jews of Pylyava were murdered.