Pykiv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1852, it can be inferred the cemetery was already in use by the mid-19th century.
Jews were first mentioned in Pykiv in 1713 and in 1765, there were 298 Jewish residents. According to the census of 1847, the Jewish population numbered 1,566 Jews. In 1873 there were 3 synagogues in Pykiv and by 1889 there were 4. According to the census of 1897, there were 1,479 Jews living in the town which was nearly 100%. In 1914, Jews owned: a pharmacy goods warehouse, both timber yards, the only mill as well as 36 small shops. On July 10th 1919, the Jewish community survived a pogrom, in which 50 Jews were killed. At the turn of the 19th century there was a synagogue, a Jewish school and a Jewish cemetery. By 1926, there were 1,644 Jews, out of the total of 3,449. In the 1930s there was a Jewish elementary school for 300 children.
Pykiv was occupied in early July 1941. A ghetto was established. 960 Jews were murdered at the cemetery in late May 1942. There was an attempt of revolt.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery was established no later than in the mid 19th century, as the earliest preserved gravestone dates to 1852. The cemetery is marked on the maps from the 1900s of the region. The most recent gravestone is from 1975. There are more than 200 gravestones and a mass grave from 1942. The territory of the cemetery is used for cattle grazing.