Putyla Jewish Cemetery
A site for the Jewish cemetery was purchased in 1855. The cemetery was operating until WWII, the latest preserved gravestone relates to 1930s.
Jews are known from the mid-19th century. In 1800, 80 Jews (11,5% of the total population) were inhabitants of Putyla. Until the end of the 19th century, the Jewish community was subordinated to Vizhnitza Kehila. In 1895, a first large synagogue was built. A mikvah and a heder operated. The Jewish population reached a peak of 509 in 1910 and declined to 379 in 1930. In the interwar period, a branch of the Zionist movement and a library operated. A Hebrew kindergarten was opened in 1933. Many of the Jews were exiled to Siberia in spring 1941 by the Soviet authority. After the German-Romanian occupation in the late June 1941, Ukrainians burned two synagogues and all Jewish houses. Some Jews fled to the neighbouring villages. In July 1941, the rest of the Jewish population was deported to Transnistria.