Pusztadobos Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Pusztadobos was established as early as 1863, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1943. The cemetery is fenced and has a Holocaust memorial.
The first Jews settled in Pusztadobos at the beginning of the 19th century and the Jewish population peaked in 1880 at 93. In 1941, merely 84 Jews lived in the village. Following the Jewish Congress in 1869, the Jewish community in Pusztadobos joined the Orthodox stream (which refused to accept the decisions of Congress). The community had a synagogue, a cheder, a Chevra Kadisha (burial society), and a mikveh (ritual bath). In mid-April 1944, the Jews of Pusztadobos were forced from their homes, loaded onto carts, and confined in the Kisvarda Ghetto, where they were crowded into two rooms. On May 22 they were deported to Auschwitz. After the war, 14 survivors returned to Pusztadobos but they did not revive the Jewish community and left the village soon after.