Punsk Jewish Cemetery
The town of Puńsk was founded in the royal estates in 1597 and received Magdeburg rights in 1647. It is not known when Jewish settlement began in Puńsk. In 1797, among 299 inhabitants, there were 60 Jews (20%); in 1820, among 597 inhabitants, there were 353 Jews (60%); and in 1921, among 443 inhabitants, there were 288 Jews (65%). Jewish community buildings, including a modest wooden synagogue, were built on the main street. At the beginning of World War II, the Germans led the Jews of Puńsk towards the border with Lithuania. Their fate is unknown. The Germans also destroyed the community facilities.
The cemetery was established before 1800, about 500 metres northwest of the market square, on a small hill. Its history and original appearance are unknown. It was partially destroyed during World War II. After the war, it was neglected and covered with trees and shrubs. In 2019, the Commune Office cleaned up the cemetery – bushes were cut down and an information board was erected. The original area of the cemetery (0.7 hectares) is preserved and is shaped like a rectangle. The cemetery is clearly visible and is partially enclosed by a concrete fence. Several dozen matzevot (mostly their bases) made of granite erratic boulders have survived. The oldest readable one is from 1808.