Pryyutne Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zaporizhya
District
Gulyaypolsky
Settlement
Pryyutne
Site address
To the right of No.53 Shevchenko Street, there is a dirt road, follow it to the north for 220m. When you reach the fork, take the left hand fork and continue for 110m, then the cemetery will be on the right.
GPS coordinates
47.73235, 36.67218
Perimeter length
318 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, in places a moat is visible.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with dense seasonal vegetation. A local (born in 1930) told us the location of the cemetery. He remembers it from his youth. Now it is a field for grazing livestock. Where the tombstones have gone is not known.
Number of existing gravestones
There are only 2 gravestones. A fragment of a tombstone with inscriptions was found on the territory. There is also a remnant of a brick tombstone. There is one stone that looks like an inverted tombstone.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to locals, the cemetery operated up to and within the Soviet period. The period of the demolishing of the cemetery is also unknown. It cannot be found marked on old maps of the region.

Jewish Colony Number 8 in Pryyutne (Ukr. Приютне, Rus. Приютное) was founded in 1848 by Jews from the Vitebsk Governorate in present-day Belarus. Pryyutne had a total population of 616 in 1858, but only 292 in 1897. Most residents were Jewish. The community maintained a synagogue and a cheder. During the Civil War of 1918–21, many Jews were killed in pogroms. In the 1920’s, new settlers arrived from Podolia and collective farms were established. Pryyutne was the seat of the local village council and there was a Jewish elementary school. In 1939, 66 Jews lived in Pryyutne. During the German occupation, 19 Jews were shot by the Ukrainian police in February 1942.

It is not known when exactly the cemetery was founded or when it was demolished. According to a local resident, it still existed after WWII.

View 3D model