Preveza Jewish Cemetery
There was a Jewish presence in Preveza as early as the 16th century, but it disappeared from the town until the mid-19th century, when Jews arrived from Ionnina, Arta, and Corfu. The community came together in 1903. In 1904, the Jewish population was 200. From 1908, a Jewish school was supported by the Alliance Israelite. Zionist activity began in 1913. The Jewish population in 1940 was 250. On 25th March 1944, the Germans assembled 245 local Jews and transferred them to Arta. They were then transported with 352 Jews from Arta to Agrinion. On 2nd April, they were sent to Auschwitz, part of the first transport of Jews from Athens. After WWII, 17 Jews returned to Preveza from hiding, but their numbers dwindled in the following years.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it can be assumed that it emerged in the 19th century. However, earlier burials may have taken place on the site.