Prelog Jewish Cemetery
Prelog is located in the southern part of Međimurje County on the shores of the River Drava and Lake Dubrava. Historical records first mention Prelong in 1264 but only during the 15th century did the town become famous as a trading center. In the 18th century, Prelog grew considerably, becoming a hub for advanced crafts and it had both a school and church. During that period, there were 1729 inhabitants.
In the 19th century, Prelog was the most important town of the Međimurje region. By the end of the 19th century, 4000 people lived in the town, the majority of them Croatian and Hungarian. There is little historical record of the Jewish population of Prelog. The Jewish population belonged to the nearby community of Cakovec. In 1931, there were 66 Jews living in Prelog, by 1947 only three. The Jewish cemetery of Prelog was established in the 19th century and existed until the early 1970s when the site became part of the Christian cemetery. The Jewish cemetery was demolished and, in its place, the town’s morgue was built on top of the grounds.