Poroshkovo Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish cemetery in Poroshkovo was established in the 19th century. There were separate parts for men and women. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1906. The cemetery was used presumably until WWII, although the most recent preserved gravestone dates to 1936.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Poroshkovo in the 19th century. In 1851, there were 21 Jews living in the village. In 1910, the Jewish population had risen to 130. During the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had decreased to 94 by 1930. In 1936, the Jewish population constituted 8% the total population. Hungarian forces arrived in Poroshkovo in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kaminets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Poroshkovo were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.