Popowo Koscielne Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Popowo Kościelne is located on a hill in the eastern part of the village, north of Malownicza Street, about 70 metres north-east of the cemetery of the Roman Catholic parish and covers a square plot with an area of about 0.40 hectares. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown. In the report of the Popowo parish from 1781, the inspector of the Płock diocese wrote the following about the local Jews: “They have the cemetery in Radzymin where they bury their dead relatives”. The cemetery was established no later than in the third decade of the 19th century, which is confirmed by the preserved tombstones, including one commemorating Jehuda, Son of Aharon, who died in 1825. Before 1939, the cemetery was divided by alleys, there were no trees or shrubs, and there were tombstones throughout the area.
The cemetery has suffered extensive damage over the years. According to unconfirmed reports, during World War II, by order of the Germans, some matzevot were used to build a field airport near Nasielsk. The cemetery fell into further disrepair in the post-war years. The sand was taken from the cemetery. Following the excavation of the hill, a steep slope was created, dividing the cemetery into an upper part and a lower part. There is no fence, though the boundaries of the cemetery are partially visible because of the trench and embankments. A dozen or so tombstones made of field granite stones have been preserved in the cemetery. The area is covered with self-seeding vegetation, including blackthorn and hawthorn bushes, maples, oaks, and aspen. In 2009-2012, at the initiative of the priest from Popowo Kościelne—Remigiusz Stacherski—cleaning work was carried out in the cemetery. There is no data on its ownership status. The cemetery is listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Masovian Voivodeship.
The first records of Jews living in Popowo Kościelne date to 1781. In 1921, 109 Jews lived in the village. During World War II, the Jews of Popowo were deported to the Maków Mazowiecki Ghetto and later murdered.