Pomoryany Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps from the 1880s and 1939. Presumably, it was demolished after WWII.
The Jews were present in Pomoryany from the early 17th century onwards. In 1628, two taverns were owned by Jews. A Jewish cemetery was established in 1654 after the Khmelnitsky massacres of 1648 to 1649 and the plague of 1651, which claimed many lives of the town citizens. In the late 19th century, a Jewish school was opened. In the late 19th century, Jews owned three mills and 19 of 23 stores in Pomoryany. In 1880, there were 1,910 Jewish residents in Pomoryany (43% of the total population). A Jewish population numbered 1,563 (36% of the total population) in 1900. The Zionist movement gained more followers from the early 20th century. The fire of 1908 destroyed 60 Jewish homes. During WWI, many Jews fled the town and the Jewish population decreased to 799 (24% of the total population). Two synagogues, destroyed during WWI, were rebuilt in the 1920s. In 1942, 1,450 Jews resided in Pomoryany. On October 26, 1942, around 1,400 Jews were expelled to the Zboriv, where they shared the fate of the local Jews. The remaining 16 Jewish specialists, who had not yet been killed, were murdered in July 1943.