Polgar Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Polgár was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1943, which is the date marked on the latest tombstone found in the cemetery. The cemetery has been fenced and is maintained by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries.
The first Jews settled in Polgár around 1770, though the first record concerning a Jewish presence in the village dates to 1840, when one Jew lived in the village. By 1848, 67 Jews lived in Polgár. The Jewish population increased over the following decades: 413 Jews lived in the village in 1880, 475 in 1910, 500 in 1920, and 488 in 1941. In 1853 it became a registrar community. Following the differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress held in 1869, the Jewish community in Polgár decided to join the Orthodox stream.
By 1941, 60 young Jews were taken away for forced labour. In 1944 the Jews were sent to the Nyiregyhaza Ghetto. Because of the severe overcrowding conditions in the Ghetto, the Jews of Polgar were taken to deserted estates in the vicinity. After some weeks, where they suffered from starvation and torture, they were deported to Auschwitz. 26 Jews survived the war and returned to the village where they re-established communal life. In 1949 there were 42 Jews in the town, though they soon began to leave.