Pocspetri 1 Jewish Cemetery
According to the cadastral maps, there used to be two Jewish cemeteries in Pócspetri. This cemetery was established as early as 1871, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1944. The cemetery is currently unfenced.
The first Jews settled in Pócspetri at the beginning of the 19th century. 45 Jews lived in the village in 1840, increasing to 93 by 1880. The Jewish population decreased over the following decades. In 1920, 67 Jews lived in Pócspetri, and by 1944 just 61 Jews remained in the village. The Jewish community of Pócspetri joined the Orthodox stream following the differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress held in 1869 which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry. In 1944, the rabbi of the community was Rabbi Áron Teitelbaum, who came from Nyírbátor. The community leader and town shochet (butcher) was Ignác Weinberger. The Jews were taken to the Nyiregyhaza Ghetto and from there were deported to Auschwitz. After the war, the Jewish community in Pócspetri was not revived.