Plyskiv Jewish Cemetery
According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Cemetery, the cemetery was established in the 18th century. It can be found marked on a Russian map from 1907-1909.
Jews settled in Plyskiv in the late 18th century. In 1765, there were 6 Jewish residents. According to the census of 1847, the Jewish community numbered 471 Jews. In 1873 there were 2 synagogues. From 1883, the Rabbi was Israel Berman. According to the census of 1897 the population grew threefold to 1,828 Jews, which was 46.9% of the town. The Jewish community survived the pogroms in May and August 1918. At the beginning of the 20th century there were 3 synagogues and a Jewish cemetery.
In 1912 a loan-saving partnership was in operation. In 1914, the Jewish community owned a drug store, a pharmacy goods warehouse, a timber yard, the only brewery, a book shop and 30 small shops. In 1922 there was a Jewish council and Jewish school for 4 grades and 150 children. The majority of the Jews left Plyskiv in the 1930s. By 1939, there were only 793 Jewish residents.
Plyskiv was occupied in July 1941. On July 22nd 1941, Einsatzkommando murdered 513 Jews in Proznakovsk forest and 120 more in the town. In 1942, a group of Jews from Dzyunkiv were killed.
Over 700 Jews were killed in the region.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Cemetery, the cemetery was established in the 18th century. The cemetery is marked on maps from 1907-1909 of the region. The earliest gravestone found dates to 1890, the most recent to 1904. There are around 18 gravestones. According to locals, there was no post-war section in the cemetery. The cemetery is well tended.