Pishchana Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Odessa
District
Balta
Settlement
Pishchana
Site address
Pishchana Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
48.13460, 29.73923
Perimeter length
491 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The pre-war part of the cemetery is abandoned, but the post-war part seems to be cared for. Both parts are overgrown with bushes.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 80. The pre-war part of the cemetery is abandoned, but the post-war part seems to be cared for. Both parts are overgrown with bushes.
Date of oldest tombstone
1864 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1990
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
A demolished part of the cemetery, used today as fields and gardens, is most probably in private ownership.
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

Following the dating of gravestones, the cemetery exists at least from 1864. It is marked on Russian maps from 1912-13 and 1927. After WWII, a memorial to the victims of Nazism was set up on the place of the mass grave on the cemetery. The modern territory of the cemetery is around half of what it was in the pre-war period.

Jews began settling in Pishchana during the early 19th century. In 1887, the Jewish community numbered 750 individuals (25% of the total population). It increased to 870 individuals in 1897. In 1889, a synagogue was operating, and Jews were active in crafts and trade. In 1914, a pharmacy, a bakery, two timber stores, two mills and nearly 50 shops and stores had Jewish owners. In 1923, the Jewish population slightly increased to 902. In 1939, there were 466 Jews (8% of the total population) residing in the town. German-Romanian troops occupied Pishchana in summer 1941, setting up a ghetto. The almost 500 Jews detained here were eventually transferred to the Bershad ghetto.