Pidvolochysk Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1860s. It was marked on a map in Yizkor Pidvolochys’k Memorial Book issued in 1988.
The Jews were already present in the town when it was founded in the 1860s. The first rabbi of Pidvolochys’k was Hasid Yehoshua-Geshel Babad (died in 1895) from Belz. In 1890, the Jewish population reached 2,651 (70,2% of the total population). By 1900, this figure grew to 3,779 (73% of the total population). In 1900, the Zionist movement activated. Israel Eldad (Scheib) (1910–1995), a member of the Lehi central committee and Israeli Revisionist Zionist philosopher, was born in Pidvolochysk. In the early 20th century, Degel Yehuda and Poalei Zion were the most active Zionist organizations in the town. By the same time, a drama circle, choir and Hebrew courses by Safa Brura were in operation. In 1916, the Russians expelled 420 Jews to Skalat. The Jewish population declined to 2,275 (62% of the total population) in 1921. In July 1941, about 1,200 Jews resided in Pidvolochys’k when the Wehrmacht troops occupied the town. 40 Jews were murdered on the first day of the occupation. In September 1942, Jews were deported to Zbarazh. On June 29, 1943, a labour camp was liquidated, and 500 Jewish prisoners were executed. 200 Jews returned to the town after the end of WWII. In 2003, Jews resided in Pidvolochys’k.