Piatek Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Poland
Region
Łódzkie Voivodeship
District
Łęczyca
Settlement
Piątek
Site address
The cemetery is located on the south side of the road towards Pokrzywnica, about 250m after Piątek.
GPS coordinates
52.0639556, 19.4732666
Perimeter length
393 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery area is extremely overgrown. It is not possible to enter the territory of cemetery due to the very dense vegetation growing outisde the cemetery’s site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Other
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

Piątek was granted town rights in the 14th century. After the outbreak of the war and the occupation of the town by the Germans, the Jews were transported to the extermination camp in Chełmno nad Nerem. The cemetery is located near the road to Pokrzywnica, on the left side of the road, at the top of the board marking the entrance to the village. The cemetery’s date of establishment is unknown, though it was probably established in the 19th century. It can be concluded from preserved records from the Synagogue Fund of the town of Piątek from 1850-1852 that the cemetery already existed by that time. The cemetery has suffered significant damage – it is overgrown and no matzevot have survived. The Jewish cemetery covers an area of 0.8 hectares, which is not marked.