Petrovirivka Jewish Cemetery
According to epigraphic data, the Jewish cemetery of Petrovirivka was established no later than 1840, as the oldest gravestone dates to this year. The cemetery is marked on a Russian military map from 1941. As post-war gravestones show, there was a Jewish population in Petrovirivka after WWII.
Jews began settling in Petrovirivka from the late 19th century onwards. According to the census, the Jewish population in 1897 numbered 819 and, by 1926, had increased to 1,557 (97% of the total population). In the 1920s and 1930s, an elementary school for Jewish children was operating. A rural council was created. Jews were united into artisan cooperatives. Three colonies were created in the area: 38 Jewish families founded the colony named Frayland, 60 families founded the colony Ratenfeld, and 59 families (258 people total) founded Rayzenfeld. In 1939, the Jewish population numbered 470. On August 7, 1941, the Nazis occupied Petrovirivka. During August to September 1941, around 75 Jews were murdered. Over 200 Jews fell victim to the Nazi regime.