Penyige Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Hungary
Region
Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg
District
Nyírbátori
Settlement
Penyige
Site address
Leaving Penyige on Kossuth Street, the cemetery is located on the left hand side in the woodland.
GPS coordinates
47.99934, 22.57224
Perimeter length
102 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
There is a yellow wire fence, around 1.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery has been abandoned, however it is well preserved despite this.
Number of existing gravestones
9 gravestones: 8 standing and 1 broken.
Date of oldest tombstone
1874
Date of newest tombstone
1924
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Penyige was established as early as 1874, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1924. The cemetery has been fenced.

According to the 1840 census, there were already 26 Jewish inhabitants in Penyige. In 1880, Jews accounted for 36 people of the village’s total population of 595. However, the Jewish population steadily declined after that year: 32 Jews lived in the village in 1910, 17 in 1920, and 12 in 1930. By 1941, Jews accounted for 20 people of the village’s total population of 816. The Jews of Penyige were first taken to the Fehérgyarmat Ghetto, and then deported from Mátészalka Ghetto on May 31, 1944, to Auschwitz. There was a synagogue in the village, but it was demolished.