Pelczyce Jewish Cemetery
A man living at 5, Rakoniew Street, next to the cemetery) is, together with his immediate family, the owner of all the land around the necropolis (a smaller part of the area belongs to, for example, his son). He was very helpful and friendly. He complained that people came to or near the cemetery to throw away rubbish or to have fun with alcohol. He claims that he personally took away from the cemetery countless amounts of rubbish and wanted to legally fence it, even participating financially in it. Unfortunately, he did not get along with the local municipality office (which is the formal owner of the cemetery).
The Jewish cemetery in Pełczyce was probably established at the beginning of the 19th century. Although Jews already lived here in the Middle Ages, and took part in the battles to defend the city, it was not until the 18th century that their number became noticeable. At the beginning of the 19th century, 37 members of the Jewish community lived in the city, around the middle of the century there were 65 Jews, and another fifty years later, only 37 members again. In the 1920s, their number dropped to 27. At that time, there was a synagogue in the city located at Synagogenstrasse (now Rybacka Street) and the Jewish cemetery located south-west of the city, on Lake Krzywe (now Rakoniew Street). In 1938, during Kristallnacht (November 9-10), the cemetery was devastated. Since 1933 it has been in private hands, but it was destroyed in 1945. After World War II, the cemetery was forgotten by local residents. Numerous stone tombstones with inscriptions in Hebrew and German as well as old trees have survived. The cemetery is surrounded by private land and therefore difficult to access. Unmarked and disordered.
(West Pomeranian Encyclopedia; http://encyklopedia.szczecin.pl)