Pechera Jewish Cemetery
According to IAJGS, the Jewish cemetery was established in the 17th century. It can be found marked on a map of Western Russia from the 1900s.
The earliest known Jewish community dates to the 17th century and by 1765, the Jewish population numbered 135 Jews. According to the census of 1847, there were 702 Jews living there. From 1880, the rabbi was Azriel Rabinovich. At this time, there already was a cemetery, in which Jews from Shpykiv were also buried.
In 1889, there were 2 synagogues. According to the census of 1897, there were 896 Jews, which was 36.4% of the town. In 1914 Jews owned both timber yards, both pharmacy goods stores and 9 dry goods stores. On July 20-25, 1919 the Jewish community suffered from a pogrom, in which nearly all of the Jews were killed and by 1926 only 62 Jews remained.
Pechera was occupied in July 1941. On December 1st the Romanians set up the concentration camp and a few dozen Jews were brought there from Bessarabia and Bukovina. Over 6,500-11,000 Jews were brought to the camp, of which 2,500-4,000 died.
In the middle of March 1944, 1,550 survivors were liberated.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to IAJGS, the Jewish cemetery was established in the XVII century. The cemetery is marked on the maps of the 1900s. The earliest gravestone found dates to 1900, the most recent to 1943. There are around 60 gravestones and a mass grave.