Patskanyovo Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery of Patskanyovo was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1880. The cemetery was used presumably until WWII, although the latest preserved gravestone dates to 1936.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Patskanyovo in the 19th century. In 1830, there were eight Jews living in the town. By 1880, the population numbered 40 individuals (4% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had increased to 129. Some Jews farmed their own small plots of land. They were also operating two flour mills, a number of inns, and some worked as administrative officials. Local youth was active in Zionist organisations and Agudat Israel. Hungarian forces arrived in Patskanyovo in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 106 Jews living in Patskanyovo in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In 1941 some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Patskanyovo were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.