Panyola Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Panyola was established as early as 1841, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1932. The cemetery is part of the municipal cemetery.
In 1840, 23 Jews lived in the village. In 1880, of the town’s total population of 1,211, 54 were Jews. Jewish merchants in Panyola traded nuts and plums grown in the village. Over the course of the subsequent decades, the Jewish population was as follows: 65 in 1910, 60 in 1920, 42 in 1930, and 30 in 1941. The Jews of Panyola were later kept in Fehérgyarmat and then deported from the Mátészalka Ghetto on May 31, 1944. There used to be a shtiebel (prayer room) in the village.