Ozyutychi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Volyn
District
Lokachi
Settlement
Ozyutychi
Site address
Ozyutychi Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
50.84546, 24.71625
Perimeter length
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The site is situated between fields but is not used for agriculture. It is overgrown and often used as a waste dump by locals. There are remnants of an unspecified building on the site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The period of the cemetery’s establishment dates back to the late 17th and early 18th century. It appears on Russian maps from the 1880s. The cemetery was destroyed during or after WWII. Today, the site is overgrown and the ruins of an unspecified building can be found on the cemetery’s territory.

Jews began settling Ozyutychi in the mid-17th century. In 1847, 160 Jews were residing here. By the late 19th century, a synagogue and beit-midrash had been built. At that time, the entire population of the town was Jewish, counting 701 individuals. During WWI, many Jews fled from Ozyutychi, but by 1921, the Jewish population had increased to 739 (73% of the total population). In 1927, a Hebrew Tarbut school was opened, and various Zionist youth organizations such as “Zukunft” were operating in the town. On June 26, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Ozyutychi and shot 100 Jews. In 1942, all Jews were deported to the ghetto of Kysylyn, where they were executed on August 16, 1942.