Ozeryany Old Jewish Cemetery (Volyn Region)
It is estimated that the cemetery was established during the 18th century. It appears on Russian maps from the mid-19th century. The cemetery was demolished during or after WWII.
The first records of Jews residing in Ozeryany date back to the early 18th century. In 1761, the only meeting of the Council of the Four Lands in Volyn’ took place here. According to different sources, either 706 Jews or 340 Jews resided here by 1820. By 1941, the Jewish population had grown to approximately 850 individuals. On June 28, 1941, Ozeryany was occupied by the Nazi troops. In spring 1942, the ghetto was set up, in which local Jews and Jews from the surrounding villages were imprisoned. In August 1941, during the liquidation of the ghetto, 762 Jews were shot near the cemetery of Sushibaba. Six Jews from Ozeryany survived WWII. In 1989, a monument on the site of the shooting was erected.