Ovruch Jewish Section On Municipal Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Ovruch
Settlement
Ovruch
Site address
Municipal cemetery is to the left of the house along 8-March street, No.35. The Jewish sector is located 30m from the main entrance to municipal cemetery, on the right hand side.
GPS coordinates
51.31562, 28.78576
Perimeter length
480 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is fenced in front and on the sides, there is no fence at the rear but there is a moat.
Preservation condition
Jewish section
General site condition
The cemetery is operating. It is well looked after. The old part of the cemetery is overgrown. It needs clearing. There is one monument to the victims of fascism.
Number of existing gravestones
There are about 3,000 gravestones. There are about 3,000 gravestones in the sector itself.
Date of oldest tombstone
1938 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2020 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was founded in 1938. The earliest preserved tombstone of 1938 confirms this. In the 1970-80s, restoration works were carried out. It is not marked on maps.

Jews in Ovruch (Ukr., Rus. Овруч, Yid. אָווריטש) are first mentioned in 1629. In the 18th and 19th centuries Ovruch was a major Hasidic centre. The Jewish population of Ovruch rose from 607 in 1765, (including neighbouring smaller communities) to 1,173 in 1847, and had grown to 3,445 Jewish residents (47% of the town) by 1897. The Jewish community maintained a synagogue, several prayer houses and chadarim, a talmud-torah, a private school, an elderly care home as well as 2 cemeteries. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the Jews of Ovruch survived several pogroms. Zionists were active until at least 1925. A Yiddish-language school operated in the 1920s. A Jewish collective farm was established near Ovruch. In 1939, the Jewish population of Ovruch was 3,862 (33%). In 1941, many of the Jews were able to flee the advancing German army. A pogrom was staged even before the arrival of the Germans. The majority of the Jews who remained in Ovruch were murdered. After WWII was over, the Jewish community reemerged. In 1970, the Jewish population of Ovruch was around 1,600 (12%). Most of the Jews emigrated to the USA or Israel in the late 20th century. As of 2001, there were 103 Jews living in Ovruch and the neighbouring area.
The city cemetery was founded in 1938, and Jews were allotted a separate section. Restoration works were carried out in the 1970s and 1980s.