Otwock Jewish Cemetery
The Otwock Jewish cemetery is located in Karczew, on Anielin farm, near Czerwona Droga Street, within the geodesic plot no. 14 with an area of approximately 1.7 hectares. The cemetery was likely established around 1908 and served as the burial place for Jews from Otwock as well as patients from local hospitals and sanatoriums. The cemetery was still active after World War II. Fajwel Felder was buried there in 1947, and Abram Miński in 1950. Victims of the Holocaust were exhumed from their previous burial places and re-buried in this cemetery.
The cemetery was devasted during World War II. The tombstones were used for construction material, grinding discs, and paving slabs. The graves were plundered while searching for bones and skulls for medical students. Since 2002, at the initiative of the Committee for the Remembrance of the Jews of Otwock and Karczew, regular cleaning work is carried out in the cemetery. Thanks to the involvement of the residents of the Ministry of Health’s “Angel” Rehabilitation Center and the Baptists from the United States, the boundaries of the cemetery were marked with granite boulders. There are over 1,200 tombstones in the cemetery, most of which are damaged and displaced. The area is covered with forest and unfenced. The owner of the cemetery is the Jewish Community in Warsaw. The list of preserved tombstones is available at https://cemetery.jewish.org.pl/otwock/. The cemetery is listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Masovian Voivodeship (entry No. 1407, 02/02/1991).
Jewish began to settle in Otwock at the end of the 19th century. The development of the local Jewish community was closely related to the development of the city as a health resort. In 1932, 10,019 Jews lived in the city (68.2% of the entire population), most of whom were murdered by the Germans in Treblinka in August 1942. After the war, the Jewish Committee and the Dawid Guzik Jewish Orphanage were established in Otwock. Currently, there is a holiday centre of the Social and Cultural Society of Jews in Poland in the city.