Ostrozhets New Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located between Zalav’ya and Ostrozhets' villages, on Molodizhna Street. The site is 920 metres West of the UkrPoshta building.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery site is surrounded by a 1 metre tall wooden fence. According to old maps, the cemetery's perimeter once extended further on the northeastern side, beyond the area which is fenced today.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is divided into two parts by Molodizhna Street. The western part sits on the hill, while the eastern section sits on flat ground. There are multiple preserved matzevot, but they are deeply sunken in the ground and difficult to see from the surface. The territory is well-maintained, with no specific maintenance required.
Number of existing gravestones
10. The local Valerii told us he recalls inscriptions on the matzevot, which are presumably beneath the ground now. He offered to cut the bushes and attempt to dig out the matzevot in the spring.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery establishment is unknown, but it can be assumed that the cemetery was established in the 19th century. First it appears on Russian topographic maps in 1880s and, later, was marked on Polish map of 1939.