Oros Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Oros (now a district of Nyíregyháza) was established as early as the 1870’s, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. It remained in operation until at least 1943 (as latest tombstone found in the cemetery dates that year), or, presumably, until the community was demolished in the Holocaust.
The Jewish population in Oros over the course of a few decades was as follows: 60 in 1840, 159 in 1880, 136 in 1910, 110 in 1920, 113 in 193, and 98 in 1941. In 1944, the Orthodox community of Oros had 72 members. The registrar rabbi was Rabbi Géza Leonorovitz. The Jews of Oros were later taken to and confined in the Nyíregyháza Ghetto. There is no information concerning any survivors.