Orla New Jewish Cemetery
The new Jewish cemetery in Orla was established around the mid-19th century, outside the town, to the north-east of the town centre, on the road to Szczyty, on a small hill, to the east from the intersection of Polna Street and Poświętna Street. The area was expanded over time, such as in the interwar period when it was expanded to the west. During the war, the Germans took the matzevot for utility purposes (including road construction), and after the war, local residents continued to steal the matzevot. During the war, victims of executions were buried in the cemetery. Currently, the boundaries of the cemetery on the side of the road are visible. On the northern and eastern side, however, they are imperceptible. The area of the cemetery is covered with grass and a few self-seeding trees. At least 33 tombstones made of granite field boulders have survived, mostly with legible inscriptions. The matzevot date from 1856 to the turn of the 20th century. In 2019, a commemorative stone was placed in the cemetery.
The first mentions of Orla as a private village appear at the beginning of the 16th century. In 1618, it was granted town rights, including a permit for free settlement of both Christians and Jews. During the wars in the mid-17th century and the Northern War, Orla was significantly damaged. In 1807, Orla was inhabited by 1,586 inhabitants, 70% of whom were Jews. In 1878, there were 2,351 inhabitants, 77% of whom were Jews. In 1939, Jews constituted about 70% of approximately 2,300 inhabitants.
Jews first settled in Orla as early as the 16th century, before Orla gained town rights., the Jewish community was revived relatively quickly after the wars in the mid-17th century. In 1765, 1,358 Jews were registered in the town and the neighbouring villages which belonged to the kehilla. 1,102 Jews lived in the village in 1807, 1,812 in 1878, and 1,450 in 1939. During World War II, in March 1942, the Germans established a ghetto in the town, which was liquidated at the beginning of November 1942. The Jews were deported to the extermination camp in Treblinka.