Orativ Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Vinnytsia
District
Orativ
Settlement
Orativ
Site address
Cemetery is adjacent to a house or located on the territory of the site belonging to it. The cemetery is located adjacent to the Christian graveyard on 2A Yarovyi Lane.
GPS coordinates
49.19173, 29.53952
Perimeter length
160 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
The majority of the site’s perimeter is lined with a metal mesh fence. There is decorative gabion around the gate. The side bordering the church is lined with a 1.5 metre tall concrete wall. A dirt road runs through the cemetery, with gates installed at either end.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located on a slope and is covered with seasonal vegetation. Many of the tombstones are hidden in the bushes.
Number of existing gravestones
8 (the tombstones are damaged and located in the bushes, with illegible inscriptions).
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the first half of the 19th century.

There is not much information on the Jewish community of Orativ. In 1765, there were 9 Jews living there. According to the census of 1897, the Jewish population numbered 529 Jews, out of the total of 2,439. The Jewish community were engaged in trade and crafting. By 1939 there were 114 Jewish residents.
Orativ was occupied on July 27th 1941. On October 15th 1941, those who did not escape and were not evacuated were murdered.
There is no information on the modern Jewish community of Orativ.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to IAJGS the last known Jewish burial dates to 1917. The cemetery could not be found marked on old maps of the region. Supposedly, it was founded no later than in the early 20th century. There are no gravestones remaining. The cemetery is abandoned and overgrown.