Ofeherto Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Ófehértó was established as early as 1857, since the oldest tombstone found in this cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1944. The cemetery was fenced in 1988 by a descendant of Ófehértó Jews and is currently maintained by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries.
In 1840, 38 Jews lived in the village, later increasing to 82 in 1880. After the turn of the century, the Jewish community population continued to grow, totalling 143 Jews in 1920. The community was never independent, first belonging to the Nagykálló Jewish community and later, in 1885, to the Kemecse Jewish community. They had a synagogue from the beginning of 19th century. 15 young Jews enlisted for forced labour around 1941. On the night of April 14, 1944, the Hungarian authorities drove the local Jewry to the Nyiregyháza Ghetto on foot, from where they were deported to Auschwitz.