Nyzhne Solotvyno Jewish Cemetery
3, Holovna Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by an old metal mesh fence.
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in relatively good condition, bushes and other vegetation is recently cut.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
In 1867, the Jewish cemetery already existed, as evident from the dating of the oldest tombstone. The newest preserved tombstone is from 1931. Presumably, the cemetery was in use until WWII.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Nyzhnye Solotvyno in the late 18th century. In 1851, 11 Jews lived here and, in 1880, the Jewish population had increased to 73 individuals. In 1900, there were 60 Jews living in the town; 21 years later, the Jewish population was 57. Jews were engaged in agriculture and commerce. In 1930, the Jewish population had decreased to 32. The Hungarians arrived to Nyzhnye Solotvyno in March 1939 and, in 1941, drafted some Jews into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. By 1941, there were 45 Jews living in Nyzhnye Solotvyno. Some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Nyzhnye Solotvyno were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.