Nyirderzs Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Nyírderzs was established as early as 1892, which is the date marked on the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery. The latest tombstone in the cemetery dates to 1983.
In 1880, the total population of the village of Nyírderzs was 607, including 105 Jews. 86 Jews lived in the village in 1910, 75 in 1920, 57 in 1930, and 69 in 1941. Among the Jews who lived in the village included Sándor Fisch, who in 1920, was a landowner, village representative, and member of the county committee, and who farmed in the village.
Jenő Kandel, another Jew who lived in Nyírderzs, was a farmer, who studied in Balassagyarmat, then graduated from the Talmud School in Bratislava. Between 1897 and 1911 he was a manorial farm officer, and in 1911 he became an independent farmer. By 1945, there were no more Jews in the village. There used to be a prayer room (shtiebel) in Nyírderzs, however it has since been demolished.