Nyirbogdany Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Nyírbogdány was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1940, which is the date marked on the latest tombstone found in the cemetery. The cemetery has not been fenced.
The first Jewish family settled in Nyírbogdány in 1736, and, by 1784, there were 16 Jews in the village. By 1880, the Jewish population had increased to 159, and 171 in 1910. While the Nyírbogdány Jewish community came under the jurisdiction of the Kemecse Jewish community, they still had a synagogue, mikvah, rabbi, and shochet (butcher). In 1944, 30 young Jewish men were taken away for forced labour. In that same year—prior to the deportation of the village’s Jews—64 Jews lived in Nyírbogdány, without a rabbi, or sustained community economy, and only the shochet’s house and ruined mikvah remained. By mid-April, the Jews of Nyírbogdány were transported to the Nyiregyháza Ghetto, and then deported to Auschwitz. Three women who were in the camps and ten men previously in forced labour later returned to the village.